Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Bed Bath & Beyond returns as online only home furnishings brand -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Bed Bath & Beyond returns as online only home furnishings brand
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 14:13:40
Bed Bath & Beyond, the home goods retailer that closed its remaining stores after filing for bankruptcy in April, relaunched Tuesday as an online-only brand under new owner Overstock.com.
Overstock's website now redirects visitors to BedBathandBeyond.com, where the former big-box retailer is again selling bathroom, bedroom and kitchen-related products. The online store lets customers peruse a larger array of home furnishings and fixes some problems that were afflicting both Overstock and Bed Bath, according to Overstock CEO Jonathan Johnson.
"Overstock has a great business model with a name that does not reflect its focus on home," he said in a statement. "Bed Bath & Beyond is a much-loved and well-known consumer brand, which had an outdated business model that needed modernizing."
Overstock bought Bed Bath & Beyond in June for $21.5 million during a bankruptcy court-supervised auction. The purchase didn't include Bed Bath & Beyond's remaining brick-and-mortar stores, which closed earlier this summer.
The revived Bed Bath & Beyond also said it has reinstated points that shoppers had earned under the company's former loyalty program and refreshed the store's mobile app.
Overstock can use whatever bump in its business Bed Bath & Beyond can give it. Johnson told analysts during an earnings call last week that Overstock's active customer and order frequency fell 29% to $4.6 million during the second quarter compared to the year-ago period.
"We expect that over time, the relaunch of Bed Bath & Beyond brand, growing mobile app adoption and enhanced loyalty offerings will help improve this metric," he told analysts.
Bed Bath & Beyond failed amid a wave of retail bankruptcies in recent years as the economy slowed and Americans became less willing to spend. Cineworld Group (the parent company of Regal Cinema), Party City and Vice Media are just a handful of brands on a longer list of Chapter 11 filings so far this year. Tuesday Morning and Revlon went bankrupt last year.
Bed Bath & Beyond opened as a privately held business in 1971 and went public in 1992. As the U.S. economy boomed, the company had a 15-year run of earnings that met or beat Wall Street expectations. But its momentum slowed with the explosion of online shopping. Before filing for bankruptcy, Bed Bath and its children's focused store, Buy Buy Baby, had experienced years of declining sales.
After changing its website name, the Overstock brand will quietly dissolve over time, company officials said.
Johnson told the Associated Press that the rebrand was necessary because Overstock still confuses some customers and suppliers who believe it is a liquidator, which is how the company got its start in 1999. It transformed in 2004 into a general merchandise retailer, selling a wide variety of items. In 2021, Overstock fine-tuned its strategy to focus on furniture and home decor, doing away with items like clothing and jewelry.
Bed Bath & Beyond's relaunch comes nearly a month after the company made a similar move in Canada. Johnson told the AP that the company has added roughly 600,000 new products since last month.
—The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- In:
- Bed Bath & Beyond
Khristopher J. Brooks is a reporter for CBS MoneyWatch covering business, consumer and financial stories that range from economic inequality and housing issues to bankruptcies and the business of sports.
TwitterveryGood! (17575)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Cleveland Regional Planning Agency Building Community Input Into Climate Change Plan
- Georgia remains No. 1, Florida State rises to No. 5 in US LBM Coaches Poll
- Nepo baby. Crony capitalism. Blursday. Over 500 new words added to Dictionary.com.
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- An Idaho woman convicted of killing two of her children and another woman is appealing the case
- 'Holly' is one of Stephen King's most political novels to date
- Astros' Jose Altuve homers in first 3 at-bats against Rangers, gets 4 in a row overall
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- United Airlines lifts nationwide ground stop after technology issue
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- The Biden Administration is ending drilling leases in ANWR, at least for now
- The AI-generated song mimicking Drake and The Weeknd's voices was submitted for Grammys
- Franne Lee, who designed costumes for 'SNL' and 'Sweeney Todd,' dies at 81
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Duke QB Riley Leonard wanted homework extension after win over Clemson, professor responds
- Vegas man tied to extremist group gets life sentence for terrorism plot targeting 2020 protests
- DeSantis appoints Moms for Liberty co-founder to board overseeing state employee conduct
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
America’s state supreme courts are looking less and less like America
SafeSport Center ‘in potential crisis’ according to panel’s survey of Olympic system
Greek ferry captain, 3 seamen charged over death of tardy passenger pushed into sea by crew member
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Suspect sought after multiple Michigan State Police patrol vehicles are shot and set on fire
Jenni Hermoso accuses Luis Rubiales of sexual assault for World Cup kiss
Arkansas blogger files suit seeking records related to Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ travel, security